Information for Applicants
The Georgia Golf Course Superintendents Association (GGCSA) Legacy Awards Competition offers educational aid to the children and grandchildren of Georgia GCSA members. The awards are funded by the Georgia GCSA.
Applications will be reviewed by an independent committee consisting of the Georgia GCSA Scholarship Committee. All decisions of the committee are final. Applicants will be notified by mail of their status by June 15, 2016. All scholarship award checks will be made payable to the applicant and their educational institution.
(1) One or more of the applicant's parents or grandparents must have been a Georgia GCSA member for five (5) or more consecutive years and must be a currently active Georgia GCSA member in one of the following classifications: A, SM, C, Retired A, Retired SM or AA Life. The competition is open to natural or adopted offspring of Georgia GCSA members. Children or grandchildren of deceased members are also eligible if the member was currently active at the time of his or her death.
(2) The student must be enrolled full-time at an accredited institution of higher learning or, in the case of high school seniors, must be accepted at such an institution for the next academic year.
(3) Although any number of students from the same family may apply, only one student per family will be eligible to receive an award.
Criteria for Selection
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following:
(1) Academic achievement, extracurricular and community involvement, leadership and outside employment.
(2) Two essays:
a. Your family and why you should be a Legacy Scholar (maximum of 300 words) and
b. Besides someone in your family, who is your hero or mentor and why (maximum of 300 words)
Financial need is not a factor in the selection.
How to Apply
Students must complete and submit an application form and supply the following under one cover:
- Transcripts from all high schools and colleges attended.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Testing (ACT) scores from spring of junior year or fall of senior year high school
- Collegiate letter of acceptance (graduating high school seniors only)
- College transcripts (note: if freshman or sophomore, please include high school transcript as well)
- Two letters of recommendation: one from academic institution and one personal
- Typed original essay
All applications must be postmarked by May 1, 2017. Application booklets may be obtained from Georgia GCSA Headquarters
Send complete packet to
Attention: Legacy Awards
PO Box 310
Hartwell, GA 30643
APPLICATIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE MARCH 15, 2017.